UN Accuses M23 of Child Executions in DR Congo
Bukavu, DR Congo (February 18, 2023) – The United Nations on Tuesday accused the March 23 Movement (M23) of executing children in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) city of Bukavu.
The UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR) "has confirmed cases of summary executions of children by the M23 following its entry into Bukavu town last week."
"We call on Rwanda and the M23 to ensure that human rights and international humanitarian law are respected," OHCHR spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani told a press briefing.
The situation on the ground is "very chaotic," she said, and OHCHR is receiving "a lot of information, much of which cannot be confirmed or verified."
"We do not have an overall figure" for the number of children executed, but "we have a number of reports" that "we are in the process of verifying," she said, adding that there are also many videos on social media.
Shamdasani said that in Bukavu, "three young boys were killed during an altercation with M23 elements, according to credible information received." The information suggests that the three children had "collected weapons" that they had found.
"They were intercepted by the M23," who asked them to hand over the weapons, the spokesperson said: "They refused and were killed."
On Sunday, the M23 and its Rwandan allies seized Bukavu, capital of South Kivu province, after a rapid advance that saw them capture Goma, a major city and economic hub in North Kivu, in late January.
Kinshasa accuses Rwanda of "expansionist ambitions" and of seeking to plunder the two provinces’ rich resources. Kigali denies the accusations, not even confirming its presence in the DRC, but insists on the threat posed to its security by the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), created by former Hutu leaders on the run.
The situation is "deteriorating sharply, resulting in grave human rights violations and abuses, such as summary executions, including of children, and sexual and gender-based violence," while hospitals and humanitarian warehouses are being attacked, Shamdasani said.
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk "expresses his horror at the events unfolding in South Kivu and North Kivu and their impact on civilians," the spokesperson said.
"The violence must stop immediately," and all parties must "return to dialogue, within the framework of the Luanda and Nairobi processes," she added: "The risks of this escalating into an even deeper and broader conflict are frightfully real and will have even more devastating consequences for civilians."
Rwanda’s Alleged Role
The UN’s accusations against the M23 come amid ongoing tensions between the DRC and Rwanda. Kinshasa accuses Kigali of supporting the M23, a charge Rwanda denies.
The M23 is a predominantly Tutsi rebel group that emerged in 2012. It has been accused of committing human rights abuses, including the recruitment of child soldiers and the killing of civilians.
Rwanda has long been accused of meddling in the DRC, where it has intervened militarily several times. Kigali has denied these accusations, but it is widely believed that it has provided support to the M23.
The UN’s accusations against the M23 are likely to further strain relations between the DRC and Rwanda.
Regional Efforts to End the Crisis
The UN is calling for an immediate end to the violence in the DRC. It is also urging all parties to return to dialogue within the framework of the Luanda and Nairobi processes.
The Luanda process is a series of peace talks between the DRC government and armed groups. The Nairobi process is a parallel initiative that brings together the DRC, Rwanda, and other regional actors.
The UN Security Council is expected to discuss the situation in the DRC in the coming days.
Humanitarian Crisis
The fighting in the DRC has caused a major humanitarian crisis. According to the UN, over 5 million people have been displaced from their homes.
The UN is appealing for $1.7 billion in aid to provide food, water, shelter, and other essential services to the displaced population.